Sunday, April 27, 2014

My Inner Life

                                                         
                                  'Tis true my garments threadbare are,
                                  And sorry poor I seem;
                                   But inly I am richer far
                                   Than any poet's dream.
                                   For I've a hidden life no one
                                   Can ever hope to see;
                                    A sacred sanctuary none
                                    May share with me.

                                   Aloof I stand from out the strife,
                                   Within my heart a song;
                                    By virtue of my inner life
                                    I to myself belong.
                                    Against man-ruling I rebel,
                                    Yet do not fear defeat,
                                     For to my secret citadel
                                     I may retreat.

                                    Oh you who have an inner life
                                    Beyond this dismal day
                                    With wars and evil rumours rife,
                                    Go blessedly your way.
                                    Your refuge hold inviolate;
                                    Unto yourself be true,
                                    And shield serene from sordid fate
                                    The Real You.
                                                            by Robert William Service

No comments:

Post a Comment